Monday, May 1, 2017

My Haiku Project

I love poetry. I have ever since my first creative writing class in jr high.
Last month my brother in law asked me to write a birthday letter to my sister in law. He joked that I could write a haiku. I laughed at the thought and then at 5am when I was feeding my baby, inspiration struck and I wrote a sweet little something that was perfect.

It got me thinking about how much I love writing and how much poetry seems like the tastiest version of words to partake of. Like dark chocolate it is flavorful and full of beautiful emotion. However I spend so much of my time being absorbed in my role as a young mom I decided it was time to truly document my favorite month of May in pictures and the word pictures of haikus.
Little review... haikus are small three lined poems in the measurement of 5 syllables 7 syllables and 5 syllables. They often describe a picture and then an emotion or idea. They are a favorite and they are oh so do-able! So, here begins my month of haikus until I hit my birthday. I will try to include a picture but for now, here is my first.

 By chance my daughter brought home a library book called Fancy Nancy Poet Extraordinaire" by Jane O Connor. It describes all about different forms of poetry and how to enjoy it fully while being accessible to kids. It reminded me that my girls needed to know all sides of their mom, even the poetry loving writing nerd who has always had a romance with words.

Dessert in the Grass
By Kate Cowan

Tasting sweet poems,
And pudding in the spring grass-
My girls now know me.




No comments: