Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Haiku Project Day #2 Running Man!!!

Today I went running.  I used to hate running and then I was converted by the slow steady rhythm of my body with the swell of different types of music.  I think Oasis converted me sometime around my 21st birthday.  Since then, I have loved it...but running hasn't loved me. Especially since I slid graciously into my 30's.

However, after training, races, injuries, and a large does of humility...I realized it wasn't my speed or even how far I could run that made me love it.  It was all about being outside and breathing. It was listening to music. It was giving a smile and receiving a smile or a wave or a slick head nod that made me happy. It was coming home knowing I watched the sun rise even though I might be grumpy later due to the lack of sleep. This combination has made it easier to get up and do it all over again.

This morning I was in my happy place, running (quite slowly now) and another jogger passed me. He had on the loudest, most cheerful smile I could imagine. In that moment, I was blessed with the gift of gratitude.  To be thankful for what I CAN do is not always easy but it can change the light in a room.

Thank You Running Man
by Kate Cowan

Steady deep rhythm,
a bright and broad grin from him,
and I run beaming.

No comments: