Thursday, May 18, 2017

Haiku #18 Fuji

Some people are dog people.  I like dogs.  Some people are obsessed with cats.  I like NICE cats.  But I have only met a couple of those.  My husband is a fish guy.  Not because he likes to fish but because he loves fish in quiet green tanks.  He also excelled in planting little plants and growing a little fishy world that was all its own.  Fish do keep me calm, but I myself have always been a bird person.

When I was little, our family watched my aunt's cockatiel.  The bird we pet sat could whistle the theme song to The Andy Griffith show and talk pretty well. I fell in love and for my 8th birthday my parents found a breeder and we bought a little gray and yellow cockatiel and named him Bundles.

He was my little buddy for a VERY long time. I mean long.  He passed away when I was 29 years old.  I love that birds live a long time, but that was hard.  However, I convinced my husband to jump back in and we got another bird about 2 years ago.

Meet Fuji. He is a tiny green Parrotlet.  Not Parakeet a Parrotlet, which means he is a mini parrot.  He eats the foods a parrot would and thinks in his mind that he is the same size as a Macaw.  But, in reality he is the size of a green Twinkie.  Maybe smaller actually.

Anyway, he fills our house with lots of sound and this little green squish can talk.  We never knew he could talk until the day we picked up from my neighbor. She watched him while we went on vacation.

She exclaimed, "I had no idea he could say pretty bird!"

I didn't know either.

Well, since then he has picked up quite a few phrases and left us all feeling like we live in the amazon...with birds that are vain.  He is loud, but his chirps are beautiful and there is something about birds that speaks to me.  Maybe it is my spirit animal as my mom says.  Or maybe I just wish really hard that I could fly. But, from their feathers to their colors to the way they fluff up to sleep, or the fact they can show such emotion without lips or eyebrows... I just love birds.  So why not write a haiku for Fuji?

Fuji
by Kate Cowan

Proud and leafy green,
blue body soft underwing,
little parrot song.



No comments: