Sunday, May 28, 2017

Haiku #28 Tasting the Opposites

Today was a day I felt like I was spiritually flatlining.  I do things each day to stay spiritually aligned and even doing those the last few days, I feel like I have been distracted by many good and interesting things that have taken me away from the basics.

So, I went with my family to church and was shocked when more than once I felt very specific messages shared in different meetings that were straight for me.  In my religion (Mormon) we attend three (one hour each) meetings each Sunday and each meeting is taught by other people in the congregation.  No one gets paid, and what is taught are the numerous spiritual experiences we are going through and how the doctrines of the gospel of Jesus Christ apply to us as individuals and families.

Today was a day of listening to many humbling experiences from many different people of how they have truly felt God's hand in their life.  It is not easy to notice God's hand in your life and the only way I have ever noticed it is by writing one example daily...like in a gratitude journal.  But, today I was blown away at how many people testified of learning to trust and have faith in God, how to love God and have joy in taking steps of faith, how to trust God's timetable, and how they have been been blessed by doing God's will even when things are hard.  All of these spoke to me.  I have so many things to be grateful for but it is truly in the hardest times that I recognize what matters.

I was so grateful that I have the knowledge of a true and loving God who knows that through the darkness, comes the light.  We are not allowed to skiff over the surface of the hard stuff, but are asked to wade through it, holding His hand if we choose to. His hand is extended but we have to take it.

On a walk tonight, I took a picture of a lovely simple little flower in a neighbor's garden. It was striking to me that the two colors of these flowers (purple and yellow) were direct opposites.  The colors seemed to bleed into each other as if moving from the darkest hues into a place where things are lighter and brighter.  Yet, both are beautiful together.  I HATE the hard stuff, but our Lord knows we need it to become complete.  We must taste of the opposites to have the opportunity to choose HIM and be better.  In challenges, I am given a choice... to grow closer to my Father in Heaven or disconnect from him and drift farther away.  Whenever I catch myself spiritually flatlining, I quickly breath and realign with Him.  No matter how hard it is, I know things will always be better with Him.

Opposites in the flowers
by Kate Cowan

Vivid purple stacked
into a radiant yellow-
God's hand holds steady.

No comments: