Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Haiku #16 All About Birthdays...

I have a VERY stern opinion on birthdays.  I believe no one should have to work on their birthday, decorations should be mandatory, meals should be free, no one should feel sad or ashamed by turning another year old, and everyone should treat you really good.  That being said, I am sure birthdays are not always a favorite for everyone.  My problem has always been with failed expectations.  As you can see, in my mind, birthdays should be a perfect day.  But they are not.

We celebrated my mom's birthday today.  She is like me in that she loves her birthday and gets excited for it instead of dreading it.  I love that she is so proud of it instead of being ashamed of age.   I also love how my mom wants to have fun and enjoy things around her. Unfortunately, my plans of having a perfect day for her didn't go perfectly.  The three year old had a first class melt down as we went shopping and chose today to exercise her tendency to be disobedient.  And, the 6 year old, now over her tummy troubles, refused to eat the fancy chicken tenders she ordered because they looked different, and pouted through most of dinner.  Then to top it off, the waiter at the Italian restaurant sang happy birthday to my mom (opera style) and the baby burst into tears during the song, surprising the waiter and making us all chuckle awkwardly.

It might be just a silly little thing, and heaven knows this blog is not meant to complain about my kids, but can't they act perfect for one day???  I guess not.  Sometimes, I just feel so sucked into young mommy life that I feel like I miss other things. Maybe I just miss the calm moments.

But, my mom genuinely seemed to have a good birthday.  I bet spending time with our three ring circus has somehow made all the mommy moments easier to swallow for her.  I guess it is because my mom has grandma moments now, which everyone tells me are so much more fun!

Happy Birthday Mom.  Love you!

Birthday at the Restaurant
by Kate Cowan

Theatrical voice,
baby dramatics break in,
dessert should help things.



No comments: