Sunday, May 7, 2017

Haiku #7 That HURTS!!!

Tonight I wanted to whine. I spent most of the afternoon and evening breaking up fights between kids. I sent individual girls to time out for ripping up pictures, slapping, unplugging the vacuum while I was trying to clean up a mess, leaving the table 25,000 times during dinner, and just being messy and hard. Life seems monotonous and eternal.  And that is eternal in a bad way.

Today I heard several people tearfully talk about the changes coming in their lives.  May always makes me think of endings.  Graduation, and moving, and new opportunities that are exciting and hard.  Endings are hard.

 I was changing my baby about an hour ago and she was such a fuss.  She has been super moody lately and wouldn't eat much.  I've checked to see how the "teething" was going for weeks and nothing was there but warm jaws and gums. I finally gave up.  Maybe this girl's moods just go up and down, which I guess is normal for our household of girls...but it is exhausting.  Then I stuck my finger in her mouth tonight and felt a tiny little sharp edge.  A TOOTH!  Suddenly all the crying, whining, and needy tears had a purpose.  It was a beginning.

This time of year signifies loads of endings but in reality, just like the baby is ending one phase, another is beginning.  Something new is always beginning. Even on the days when life seems so old and tiring, change is always creeping in and stealing away the good and the bad and moving it to a different room with different light.  Change is hard. Change hurts.  But change means better things, and in the case for my baby, better food! YES!

Changes in my Living Room
by Kate Cowan

This room felt so old,
but as the sun rose today,
the light changed my view.





No comments: