Thursday, May 25, 2017

Haiku #25 I want to get away...

Everyone was a little grumpy today.  My 6 yr old got new ear molds for her hearing aids (which were in desperate need of being replaced).  But like shoes, breaking them in today has been less than comfortable.  At one point she announced to everyone after she took her hearing aids out that she was grumpy because she couldn't hear and her ears really hurt!

The baby has not been happy with her new ear molds either and my 3 yr old has been pretty mad at me since at breakfast I blindly tried to put the baby's hearing aids in her ears because I wasn't paying attention.  Plus, being a 3 yr old can always mean the grumps.  It stinks to be in the middle, not have as much freedom, and be made to take a bite of dinner to get dessert. My 3 yr old has just had a rough time being 3 today.

It is days like this that I stand and stare at this sign in my kitchen.  Maybe it is the warm weather or maybe it is the fact that I have been researching ukuleles (because I am getting a nice one for my birthday). Or maybe I just want to go on a vacation (longer than one night) to a place I have always wanted to see.

My husband and I are saving up for our first trip to Hawaii and  I put this sign in the kitchen as a little reminder of our goal.  I love goals and do well with them, but this one seems so far away.  It was this time of year 9 years ago that my husband I talked about marriage and decided to move ahead.  Marrying my best friend has been the greatest decision I have ever made.  Each phase in our life together has felt like a new room to get used to.  We stay there and then keep learning and doing until the next room is ready.

It really has been such a blessing to have someone who knows me just about as well as I know myself, sometimes even better.  But the greatest thing about our chaos is that even if we never make it to our island getaway someday, I know we've been able to make our home a little piece of tropical serenity and I love that we will always have each other.

Our Island
by Kate Cowan

We stay by the sea,
our blue-green pocket of pearls,
quiet tide singing.

No comments: