Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Haiku #24 Twirling the afternoon away, or living in an all-girl world

My husband was supposed to be home by now and I'm praying he will be home sometime tonight, if the weather agrees and lets him land.  He had a business trip and this was the first time I was left with just the girls.  It was my single-parenting days and there have been plenty of eating out, mommy playdates, fast food, ice cream trips sitting in the back seat with my girls while the baby slept, dress ups, movie time, stories out loud, manicures/pedicures with the neighbor girls, and even a dance party.

My two oldest girls do not always get along very well. They can be down right cruel to each other and it is mostly because they are very much alike.  Two strong personalities with plenty of interest in the same things means there must be a fight over a dress, or a movie, or a mermaid.  But, since naptime was abolished late November 2016, I decided to start "quiet time."  Usually it was a fight to get them to relax and read or play quietly until the last two months when my girls asked to play together and I warily agreed. But, surprise... no blood was shed (as of yet) and it seemed like things were going ok.

Today, they asked for a cd of music we often listen to in the car that has songs by David Bowie, Shiny Toy Guns, Misterwives, and Dom La Nena.  The girls had me come in and they performed a moving interpretive dance to Space Oddity by David Bowie.  Not only am I glad that I have influenced my kids with some cool music (like my own parents did introducing me to Motown at the age of 3) but I was excited to catch some cool pics and video of them twirling.  I have the same types of video of me doing the same thing at the same age.  I guess this whole "dancing in the living room convinced you are the next self-taught world renowned ballerina" thing is a REAL thing.

Even so, it was fun to see them get their groove on and know they will always be able to beat me in a dance off.

(ps-the above picture is my daughter twirling while wearing a sparkling tutu as a veil (very Sia like).  Maybe an odd choice, but it was a costume that I believe the late Mr. Bowie would have approved of.)

Dancer
by Kate Cowan

Sequins and blue lace,
these girls embrace the glitter,
flourishing through dance.

No comments: