Friday, May 5, 2017

Haiku #5! Cooking for Two

Eons ago, I was 10 and my best friend taught me to cook "the best scrambled eggs ever!"  I thought I was a natural.  When I moved out, I could cook soup, noodles, and scrambled eggs.  That is what I survived on. Then, I was taught a few things about crock pots from my roommates. Now, I knew I was a good cook.
 Then, I got married...to a foodie.  I was a foodie too, but the kind that ate out at restaurants.  This foodie I married liked to cook and went to college to learn more about cooking! I knew I was in trouble.  But like an adorable new wife, I made great strides to learn how to cook more things.

I was happy to try to make our favorite things and almost 9 years later, we still try NOT to mention the burned chicken fried steak I made as a surprise. But, somewhere in that first year, we got this collection of recipes from America's Test Kitchen.  We loved the idea of cooking small gourmet meals for two.  I was a teacher back then and I would get all the ingredients and get the meal started before my husband got home.  I would call and ask his help and soon, I started to get better at cooking.  The more I tried the more confident I got.  Now, I feel like I can whip up a marinade because I understand the main components of what makes a good marinade and what can turn your meat to mush. Now if only I could get my kids to eat what we make!

Anyway one recipe from this magazine was our favorite fajitas marinade and we'd make it for anyone we had over for dinner.  It was simple and one of the first things I really pulled off that tasted amazing!  The key was lime and cilantro!  In honor of Cinqo de Mayo, I decided to write a haiku about cilantro. How else would you celebrate?  Red Iguana was going to be far too busy tonight...

Cilantro
By Kate Cowan

Beautiful green herb,
chopped fine, mixed with oil and lime,
time for fiesta!

No comments: