Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Haiku Project Day #3 Braiding Time!



I grew up with one brother, no sisters.  I had a lot of friends who were guys because I seemed to click with guys. Therefore it felt kind of crazy that as a mom, I would have three daughters!  It has been a whirlwind of a ride, draped in pink with tutus, dress-ups, Barbie movies, and Disney princesses.  Thank goodness for the fact my girls love trains, stormtroopers, and Batman.

Anyway, this morning my oldest asked me to braid her hair.  A few months ago, I would have laughed in her face and reminded her that my idea of elaborate hair styles was just a variation of a ponytail.  But, like many times in my life, I felt like it was time to learn something new.  Honestly learning something new revives the monotony of my life.  I have to work hard, but it makes life so much better.  A few months ago, I noticed some of the amazing braids the young girls in my neighborhood were doing on their own hair.  They gave me tips and pointed me to YouTube.  Thus, I learned for myself.

So, today's haiku is about the simple act of french braiding my daughter's hair before school.


The A.M. French Braid
By Kate Cowan

Each section layered,
soft folds of hair braided long.
She laughs gratefully.

No comments: