Saturday, May 13, 2017

Haiku #13 Today's Vocal Recital


I have always loved singing and taking the leap into teaching voice was an extremely frightening one.  I let a lot of doubt and fear creep in but eventually I took on one student, and did my best. Things progressed naturally from there.

Teaching voice has turned out to be one of my favorite parts of the week.  It is so nice to take a break from being a mom and use my skills in singing and interpreting lyrics and poetry.  I've loved teaching music, pulling their sound like taffy to center in their face or head or chest and then seeing them push themselves to try new things.  What makes it most rewarding is seeing these students progress.  They have grown and changed and learned new languages and leapt out of their comfort zones so often, they don't even look nervous anymore.

Today, I decided to join them.  My husband loves jazz music and when we got married, he introduced me to many amazing jazz artists.  One of our best friends is a jazz pianist and listening to her is always humbling and inspiring. Well, this year, I decided to put myself in my student's shoes and learn something new and out of my comfort zone.  I'm very familiar with classical songs, art songs, opera arias, musicals and folk songs.  But, as much as I admire jazz, I had never given it much of a try.  I've only sung jazz once before and I never felt like I did it justice.  So, I chose a song I liked, memorized the music, worked at it and practiced it until I was singing it in my sleep. The song was the old classic, "Cry Me A River."

It was terrifying to jump in and sing again. But, my voice has changed and matured since my last attempt and besides my nerves, the hard work I invested, paid off. But no matter what, nothing I accomplished compared to my four students who have grown in leaps and bounds, some of them progressing in just a matter of a few weeks. These multi-talented students just blew me out of the water today. I sat back in my chair, so grateful to be a teacher of music.

Recital
by Kate Cowan

I am moved by them,
their fearless music soaring.
Now they've learned to fly.

No comments: