Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Haiku #30 Movie Night!!!

Tonight was another night of my birthday week celebration but in addition to that, it was "self-care night." It  sounds dumb, but taking time for me is pretty much essential these days.  My husband and I try to trade off every week.  We take time to go out with friends or just go out and do a hike or something individually.  I sometimes find reasons to not go, but when I do it is like breathing fresh air!  I never regret it.

Being a mom has been so hard on my friend life.  I am a very social person and I loved working and talking to co-workers about life.  Then, I got married and had kids and now my co-workers consist of little girls under the age of 6.  So, as you can expect, these self-care nights are what keep me stable. They don't fix all the hard stuff, but they build friendships that I need to keep afloat in this lonely sea of motherhood. Connection to other moms is what helps me survive this role. It helps me be a better mom.

I love movies and tonight some friends and I left for the night and enjoyed eating salty popcorn, laughing about our crazy kids, and crying a little at the type of movie that makes you grateful for your kids.  I came home and hugged my husband and kissed the baby and was so happy that I got the chance to step away so I could appreciate this more.

At the Movies
by Kate Cowan

Down the long dim hall,
a place to settle in and
ease the day away.






No comments: