Monday, May 8, 2017

Haiku #8 Groceries

Today was grocery shopping day. I know it is quite the thing now to order your groceries on-line and then do the pick up option.  I have several friends who do it. But tell me, where is the fun in that?

True, I feel like a pack mule each time I go (baby strapped to my front and a diaper bag slung over my back and a child hanging from each arm). And yes, I would probably stay in budget more and not buy as many impulsive items that sabotage my "healthy eating." And yes, I would probably also have more time for other things, like cleaning the bathroom.  But, honestly I've found some beautiful things in the experience.

I love the colors.  The produce section is always my favorite, as it looks like a colorful fair with tropical fruits, berries, and luscious shades of green all along the wall. I also love the cereal aisle.  As a kid, I marveled at how many choices there were and even now, I can be caught buying chocolate cheerios.  But the granola, and the oatmeal flavors go on and on!  I once had a goal to try all flavors of cheerios and I couldn't believe how many there were!

Truthfully, I hate meat.  I like to eat it but not touch it.  However, I love seeing the pink packages of steaks that look so thick and juicy.  I also love those blue packages of fish.  No one in my family likes fish (except my brother) so I don't often get some mahi mahi or sushi, but sometimes, I just love they way they look.

Also, the grocery store can be a place of validation.  Every time I go, I see another Mom or Dad I can relate to.  From the kid with the "gimmies" to that annoying car cart that has the turning radius of a school bus that your toddler insists on getting but never stays in? yeah... we can all relate.  We can give each other those knowing smiles and high fives when things get rough.  Yes, I have been known to laugh with total strangers over these exact things.

All in all, a place that gives out free cookies, fruit, and has more variety of salad dressings than you knew existed, has to be a good place, right?


Berry Season
by Kate Cowan

The clamshell box pops,
rinsed and ripe, these berries are
begging for a bite.

No comments: