Monday, May 15, 2017

Haiku # 15, Three Diamonds are ALWAYS Better than One

I got my ring sized and cleaned this last weekend.  I love doing that because it comes back to me looking like the day I got married.  It was a little rough this last time because sizing is tricky with my knuckles, but everything worked out.

Anyway, I wanted to write about my ring tonight.  Not because I am bragging (though this ring is the prettiest one out there) but because of the symbolism.

In my ring the setting has two diamonds on the sides with little halos and then the diamond in the center is the one my husband picked out for me.  It stands taller and is a much higher quality of diamond than the two diamonds on the sides.

When my husband and I were married I kept hearing about how I needed to make sure I included Christ in my marriage.  Two people can't make a marriage fly very far by themselves, but with Jesus Christ, you can make anything work if all parties are doing their best.  I never really agreed on that.  Aren't you always supposed to love your spouse first?

 Then, as the first few years began, we had ups and downs.  But the down times seemed so avoidable and frustrating. We would sigh and just say we were in a funk.  Life gets hard but I wasn't understanding what I was doing wrong. Then, my husband and I both realized we were putting each other first when that is not right. We needed to love God and put Him first and then with that foundation, we could love each other 2nd.  It sounded backwards and we were both so hesitant to trust that counsel.  But, it has done wonders for us.

Married life is not always simple, or perfect, or even easy.  But, in the last 8 and a half years, the Lord has guided me in ways that I never thought I would need.  And when I have strengthened my relationship with Christ, my marriage is 100 times stronger.

When I look at my wedding ring now, I see two lovely stones in the setting that are roughly the same size and are beautiful, but they lack the clarity and perfection of the center stone.  Together, the light of all three is breathtaking. Together with the Lord, we are so much more than we could be without Him.

Reflection
by Kate Cowan

Firmly set in place,
clear cut diamonds reflect His
flawless love for us.


No comments: