Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Haiku #31 This Year's Birthday Present

Sadly, I have learned that I do not love surprises.  They can be really great but I kind of hate people watching me open presents.  I might be an extrovert, but there were times in my life, where I just didn't want people watching me.  Maybe me and reality T.V. wouldn't mix well.

Anyway, to simplify this year I told my husband what I wanted for my birthday and there were no surprises or presents or anything except one gift.  A ukulele. My husband had the thought a few years ago and we decided to try it out this year.

We looked up ukulele brands, researched, and read everything there was on ukuleles...down to the best wood, where they were manufactured, and what was the best size and sound for me.

Today this beautiful little thing came.  For me, it is the symbol of something new.

Last year my mother in law bought me a sewing machine and two beginning sewing classes for my birthday. I was 7 months pregnant and my first thought, was "now what am I going to do with this?" I hadn't taken a class since Jr. High and it hadn't gone well at all.  But I did have a desire to learn basics and soon, I was watching Youtube and doing skirts for my girls, diaper caddy bags, and I even learned how to sew a button with my machine.  By the time the baby was born, I had made a car seat cover and was feeling much more confident.

I am still not a very good sewer, and I am far from detailed or even accurate at times...but it was the idea of something new that sparked an interest in me.  I wanted to try something that scared me a little but that I really wanted to learn. I struggled a lot at first but the elation that comes from getting through the first learning curve is the best reward!  My husband is the same way and that is one of the best things we share.  We love to jump in head first, get messy, and try something we've never done before, working it till we get good at it.  Or at least somewhat decent.

So, this year it is the ukulele.  Something new to strum and something new to research and watch on Youtube.  Either way, it is one step closer to having a piece of a Hawaiian vacation here at home.

Ukulele
by Kate Cowan

This sweet instrument,
curved, glossy, lined in green shells,
awaits only me.

No comments: