Monday, May 22, 2017

Haiku #22 Trip to Tatooine with some good lyrics..

It was a long day and writing something of worth tonight has been fairly difficult.  Then I opened my itunes and picked a favorite artist and clicked play.  It still amazes me how music can shift the mood in a room.

So, it is no surprise to my family and friends that I am a huge folk fan.  It can be anything with a good guitar and good lyrics that tugs at something thoughtful.

My brother is a sucker for a good beat and my husband values a good melody with proper complex backing.  Maybe it is because I am a writer, but lyrics are my priority.  How many songs do we listen to that have plain mush for lyrics?  It doesn't have to be mind-blowing.  In fact some of the most simple lyrics are the ones that cut right to the heart. But, one must go hand in hand with the other, or the music can feel too shallow.  Now don't get me wrong...I love a good pop song here and there, but a song with good lyrics draws me in and gets me thinking.

Teaching the lyrics is my favorite part of teaching voice.  We always study the music first. Then we read the lyrics and before putting them together, we deconstruct. We find meaning and look at the song in context and figure out what should be taken out of the song.  Sometimes, there is a vague context and that is when I tell my students to make up their own story which helps them apply emotion.  It is a joyful process!

One of my favorite artists is Jeremy Messersmith.  I discovered him over 6 years ago when someone on social media posted his song, Tatooine.  It was sweet and simple and I fell in love.  The guy is nerdy and awkward, but his lyrics are great. (note: We saw him in concert a while back too as he was giving a potluck concert tour out of people's living rooms.  It was called the Supper Club Tour and it was the best way to do a concert in my opinion.) Anyway, this guy will walk you along with his lyrics, making you think you know what is happening and then things change into some dramatic irony.  (if you want an example listen to the song, It's Only Dancing).

I am really looking forward to someday writing my own song.  It is on my bucket list of things to do before I die. And, maybe if I'm better than I thought, I will come up with an amazing hit that will fund us and our children for years to come.  Or maybe I just saw that in a movie.....

Hand in Hand
by Kate Cowan

Outward and dashing,
the music draws me in here.
Words convince me, "Stay."








No comments: