Tuesday, July 1, 2008

My Views on Love-Installment #2


It has been a little too long since I posted anything new... and the time has come for me to write! Many of you know I don't usually use the blog to write about new things in my life, as much as I write about ideas and the current musings of my mind. Let me see if I can do something that will appease both.


So, yes. I am engaged to be married. I got engaged June 13th at Red Butte Gardens and it has been a CRAZY ride since then. Mostly because I have no idea how to plan a wedding and those plans, combined with preparation for a new job teaching Kindergarten (starting just a little less than a week before I am married this Fall) was enough stress to throw me off into my wild orbits of craziness.

But, I want to say, I am very, very lucky. I am marrying a man who is kind, dedicated, loving, passionate, and my best friend. And, this leads me to an issue I wish to address.....

Most of you will remember my first post on love and my definition of love (love is having faith in someone). This definition is as true now as it ever was. However, since I started dating and since I got engaged, I have been VERY frustrated with Chick Flicks. Some of them make a mockery of love and faith. I am sorry if anyone is offended by this. I must admit, I still watch them... but to me, Love is not what the movies portray. It is not a hurried, flashy, gooey story where the man and woman fall deeply in love on the spot. I guess a prime example of this movie is Sleepless in Seattle.

Now, I love the movie for its humor and its hilarious portrayal of the differences between men and women. But, can we really believe that "magic" is the one and only thing people need to survive? No. Love is so much deeper than that. I agree there needs to be an element of passion and excitement, but to me love is literally a divine connection between two people. Not something strange and unknown.

Ok, so you say, "Katie, what chick flicks are good chick flicks?" Well, first let me preface these suggestions by saying they are not the typical "chick flicks." But I believe they do a nice job of showing different aspects of love.

If I were to pick a movie of the Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan vein, I think I would choose Joe Vs. the Volcano. I like the love story in this one. I also like how Joe Banks meets three different variations of Meg Ryan before they seem to connect and make a strong relationship. I think that is very true to life. In many ways we date and meet people who are "versions" of the type of person we are to eventually be happy with.


Um, another movie I love that seems to stand well against my standards....The Village. Yeah, I know. It is a scary movie, but the love story is soooo heart-warming. Love is the only virtue that can truly save us. Heck, I think Harry Potter incorporated that same theme too. (Note: Believe it or not, the love story in Walle was quite touching too and I cried. That is pretty rare for me, the heartless wench that I am, who never cries).




Though all of these movies are great, I still feel the best Love Stories were written by the All-Knowing Queen of Love, Jane Austen. Yes. I am sure any guy readers of this blog have now rolled their eyes or clicked off the page. But what I am trying to say is, that Jane Austen's love stories involve the exact elements that make love real. And NO, I am not talking about marrying millionaires. But, I am talking about a flawed man and a flawed woman, working through their own faults before they can love each other.
I am talking about two best friends who have grown up together and have never thought about love and then almost let fear stand in the way of their happiness. And I am talking about recognizing true love, over the flighty opinions of others. Or recognizing devotion and happiness over the prideful reckless behavior that can sting so badly. This is why I believe it.
The last element that makes Jane Austen's love stories REAL... the very real element of TIME. Love takes time. Love is all about Patience. I always think of Lizzie and Mr. Darcy and how much they had to go through before they got together. I think they learned a lot about each other and a lot about what true love is. But I bet things weren't always perfect after they were married, even if they were living in that trillion dollar mansion, Pemberly. But, I bet they loved each other enough to work through anything.

So, maybe in the future I can write a long list of the chick flicks that portray love as it really is. But I really just wanted to say I am grateful to of had the sense to recognize love in my own life. I understand the connection between two people and their own personal connection with God. I firmly believe you can't love someone until you love God and you love yourself. I'm just glad God wants us to be happy and that he is endlessly patient with me. Knowing that, has always given me the faith to love without fear.

12 comments:

MC said...

Katie,

This is Mario Chard--from Weber.

I stumbled on your blog after I learned about your publication in Weber Studies (or just "Weber" now, I suppose). Congrats!! Great poem.

I hope you don't mind that I read your post but I have to tell you (because I don't find many who agree) that The Village--and especially that scene on the porch--is absolutely brilliant! Flawed, but brilliant. I think I cry--I mean, I think I smile every time. ;) Haunting performances...

Anyway, congrats on the engagement and good luck for the coming days! I'll be posting at my blog about our coming adventures in Indiana, if your interested. Good luck with everything. I look forward to your future posts and poems.

All the best,

Mario

Rachael said...

Katie! OMH . . . Congratulations! Good luck on your upcoming marriage and new job!

I agree with so much of what you said. I love The Village. It is so beautiful and Interesting.

Please say you love North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell? (They even have a BBC miniseries)- let me know! It is wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!
Love by the world's standards is never enough, but love that is God like: forgiving, and patient, and true will mend the deepest wounds.

Marriage is nothing like I imagined. It is difficult, frustrating, and painful at times. But how can we know the sweet if we don't know the bitter? I have grown as a person, a wife, a mother. I know that with the worst sadness comes the best happiness!

Thanks for your post, Katie!

Lady_Luke said...

Rachy-maree, I don't know who you are (I don't think) but I've been telling miss Katie about North and South for many moons now. I am not in a position to force her to watch/read it until about August, but I promise you, it WILL happen.

O.k. I'll go actually read her post now so I can comment on that too. Ha ha.

Lady_Luke said...

Katie! Fabulous post. I'm SO excited for you and John (as you well know.)

I thought you'd like to know that your fellow heartless wench ALMOST cried in WallE too -- near the end. I had tears in my eyes, which is saying A LOT!

Jack said...

Katie,
Congrats! i can't believe you didn't call to tell me the minute after John proposed. ok, well, i can. But congrats to you both.
Bansheewench forever!

Michelle said...

First of all thanks for posting, I have missed reading what is going on in the cute head of yours! Thanks for that post, it gives me something to mull over in my head now. And thanks for combining your life and your thoughts into the post, because we all know our lives shape our thoughts and vice versa. Can't wait for you to get hitched, it really is so wonderful. Love you!

Alisha said...

Katie Terry-- you are as adorable & sweet as I remember. I don't know if you remember me from high school (Alisha Partridge ring a bell?) but congrats on your upcoming marriage & I have to say I agree with everything you wrote on this post. Um, & Joe Vs. the Volcano is one of my favorite movies! Most people either haven't seen it, or started watching it & didn't give it a chance. Anyway, nice to see you're doing well!!

Alisha said...

Ok-- wait, I just looked again at the post-- is that John from VHS that I sung a duet with in choir?!?! I could be wrong... time has passed... but if so WOW! Two finds in one day!

The Hodsons said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Hodsons said...

Katie, I'm so glad you finally posted! I love reading all of your interesting thoughts. And again congratulations on the engagement... I couldn't agreee with you more on the whole chick-flick thing. It annoys me when in these movies they meet and by the end of the night they are head over heals in love. That is not how love is (at least in my experiences). Love is everything you have explained here. Sometimes I look at couples who have grown old together and experienced life together and they to me are the essence of amazing love, because they love each other more then even words can explain...only their hearts. Great post Katie!

(Oh, and just ignore the deleted comment of mine above, it was the same comment)

Suzy said...

Katie,

I heard about you and John and I have to say that I think its fabulous! I really think both of you are so great.

I also have to say that I agree with you on the romantic movie. I still like them, but usually I think "if there was a sequel to this, they would be getting a divorce and bugging each other all the time". I have to say that You've Got Mail is a favorite because it seems like they really get to know each other, even though they initially hate each other. Anyways, thats my two cents.

I was glad to find your blog. Good luck with the wedding plans!

Suzy (Judd) Sullivan

The Pohlman Family said...

Katie,
WOW, I stumbled over your blog when I found out that Viewmont had A blog site. You and John huh...What and ADORABLE couple. I am so excited for you two. The one and only thing I miss about High School (the Friends) I miss all of you so much. I've actually been a little homesick for my friends of the past lately. It was many of you that helped to mould my character. As much as I moved growing up, I'm lucky to say that you are one of the people I've known the longest (3rd grade) WOW! Again, I am so happy for you. Best off luck. Oh and If I'm not too late for the wedding, I'd love to know when your getting married. If I'm too late...CONGRATULATIONS again. Tell John hi for me.
LOVE