Tuesday, October 2, 2007

a poem


I just read my brother's blog on his latest experience with dreams and I remembered a poem.
I wrote this about three years ago after I had a VERY vivid dream in the middle of the night. I remember waking up and feeling so shocked it wasn't real. The dream literally stayed with me all day, till I wrote and wrote and wrote. After much revising, this was the result.

I write lots of poetry, but out of everything I have written, this is my favorite. enjoy.


Chemistry of Autumn

October 26, 4:37 am

Folded towards the thumb-tap
between my ribs,
his kiss is warm and out
of focus as night-dreams are.

October 26, 4:37 pm

Twelve hours wound
across my shoulders,
press closer to the ground.

My mouth turns down,
two stained beech leaves
lifted apart when I speak.

Light lessens,
I am changing color.


1 comment:

Incognito_one said...

At the risk of appearing less than enlightened, I may need you to walk me through this one sometime.