Friday, June 2, 2017

Haiku #33 Sailing into the 35th Year and The End of the Haiku Project


Ten years ago today, I was jumping out of an airplane. I'm not kidding.  In 2007, I was single, graduated from college, living with roommates and feeling a little overwhelmed by the cross-roads ahead of me.

So, I chose to jump out of an airplane with two good friends and one of my best friends, who a year later, purposed marriage.  Ten years ago, everything looked gaping open and unfinished. I felt worried about my future.

Sometime in January 2007, I made a list of 25 things to do before I turned 25 and I worked my way through them until I had my birthday. The airplane thing was last on the list.  Like I've said before, I like challenges and goals.

Life is so much different now and it took a lot of time before things worked out.  Some things never worked out the way I hoped (aka, grad school). But three kids, a house, a husband, and a bird later, I wouldn't trade it for anything. My life is not easy by any means, but being in a different place brings different surprises and new chances to learn.

One thing I know is that I have learned a lot about who I am. I'm accepting the good and the bad and trying to work on what I can change, while being ok with what I can't change.  I am also proud of the fact that I am getting better at not letting discouragement and fear take me down.  Things are hard.  And mind you this example is a very trivial one...but just last night I tried my hand at the new ukulele and it was hard!  It might be easy for some, but things come slow for me.  Well, I had this panic moment when I thought maybe I had done the wrong thing. Then I remembered all the other times I had thought that and pushed through and I received a little more confidence.

The thing is, birthdays can be a downer.  Just today a friend and I were laughing about how adults celebrate birthdays.  I am proud that I still love my birthday and that I love to celebrate with balloons and lights, and cupcakes.  If anything, I view birthdays as another year to learn something else, improve, or do something I've never done before. And when I get too old and slow down, I can still learn new things .  It is so easy to give into the negative, but it takes real muscles to remain positive.

Here is the end of my Haikus.  Thanks to all who have faithfully read my poetic project and been supportive.  (ps thanks for overlooking the typos!) Maybe someone out there has learned poetry can be a delightful delicacy.  Try writing a haiku sometime.  It can be as good as chocolate for the soul.

Thirty-Five Years
by Kate Cowan

This year unfolds fast,
a layered flower in sun-
bright blooms in new shades.