Friday, March 4, 2011

A Horse Down a Well





The story goes that once a man had a beloved horse that fell down a well. The man did everything he could to save the animal but his efforts were in vain. The horse could not be rescued. So, wanting to put the painful experience behind him, the man decided to seal up the well and bury the horse. He called all the neighbors to come with shovels and everyone began to slowly shovel dirt into the long, narrow well.
As each shovel of dirt landed on the horse, he shook it off his back and stepped up. Eventually, after some time, the horse, had enough dirt piled up to scramble out of the well. **

The story is an illustration of how one animal learned how to survive when life threw dirt on his back. He shook it off and stepped up and eventually rose above all the dirt around him.

My husband shared this story with me this past evening when I was pretty worried about our new baby who now seems to have some permanent moderate hearing loss in both ears. This little baby, who I am still getting to know, may or may not recognize my voice. Ironically, she has never been happier, growing bigger and smiling more and more each day. Nothing seems to phase her. But, I sit here, worrying about her education and if the kids at school will treat her nicely, or if she will still learn to play the piano.

Health has always been so important to me. I have watched some of my dearest family struggle with terrible health problems and I myself took a little too long in my life to start taking care of myself the way I should. I guess this is why I hate the idea of having to watch my baby go through struggles too. But I guess that is love isn't it? Watching those you love, struggle and staying instead of walking away.

I'm grateful my husband told me this story the other night. It helped me realize that no matter what we face as a family, this is the point to decide how to react. Lay down and get buried, or shake it off and step up.


**This story is not my own but was in my husband's work newsletter "The Legacy Ledger."

3 comments:

Vee said...

Katie I am sorry. That is so hard to watch you baby struggle with something and not be able to fix it. Something like that would be very hard. That horse story has brought me hope over the years as well. It's a good one to keep in mind.
I have to tell you about this little boy in my the second grade class I am working with. He is parially/moderately deaf in both ears. I'm not sure how bad it is, but he has hearing aids and it helps a lot if he can see my face when I talk to him. They are doing testing and I was worried about how he would do with the vowel sounds. He got a perfect score on it! He did a lot better than some of the other "hearing" kids. His interactions seem completely normal with the other kids. I don't know if that helps at all, but it made me happy to see.
Were you a teacher? If so, what age group did you teach? I could use some ideas for lesson plans this semester.
I hope things improve.
Brookeh

Singinmame said...

I'm sorry to hear it, Katie. It seems that when some senses are impaired, others are heightened. I'm sure Evelyn will be able to do all that life has in store for her, especially with the help of her amazing parents. :) Best of luck during this time. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Jan said...

I love that story! Thanks for sharing it with me Katie. I am sorry to hear about your baby girl. As a parent I know how hard it must be to hear something like that. Luckily with today's medicine there might be some way to help it. If not today maybe next year or the year after that. Evie is beautiful and I am sure she will still thrive. Doesn't mean that you won't worry though. I think that just comes with being a parent! ;)