Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Time of the Season

I am more than ready to begin living my second favorite season, Spring. Here are 7 simple things that bring joy to those of us still stuck in the last cough of winter.





#1 Bike Rides


So, I haven't ridden a bike since I was ten. However, after Lent this year, I chose a new bike as my reward for surviving a ridiculous 37 days with no dessert.


This beautiful, low step, girly Trek bike is my new favorite Spring activity. I still ride like a ten year old, slowing down at every curve, and getting nervous around cars. But, the feeling of coasting past my elementary school at age 25, while listening to Iron and Wine on a Saturday afternoon, can lift one's spirits to new heights.





#2 Time of the strawberries

I love the shape of strawberries and their deafening red color. Heart-shaped and smooth, I love them sliced over cereal, in whipped cream, or between two pieces of bread with jam to make a strawberry sandwich. This was my invention when we were low on lunch items and surprisingly, it really tastes good and makes me happy.


#3 Dandelion Wine

This wonderful book is all about two boys who make the slow turn into Spring and approaching Summer. Bradbury spends one chapter describing the pure joy a little boy has when getting a new pair of shoes to run in. It is a perfect Spring (and Summer) read. It always reminds me of the importance of having wind chimes when one is sick in bed.


#4 Jandle time

I am talking flip flops or as the Kiwis from NZ call them, the beloved jandles. All I know, is that the season has OFFICIALLY changed when you can slip off the shoes and socks and let your toes out.


#5 Birds in the morning


I do believe my favorite sign of Spring is the return of the birds (though nothing compares to the birds I woke up to during a New Zealand spring). But still, I LOVE waking up to a semi-light morning and having the urgent voices of birds outside, trilling and soaring. It is such a wonderful addition to the music I wake up to... though, it is quite ironic since I wake up to Andrew Bird (seriously, I highly recommend this guy... he is a favorite).


#6 Daffodils and Tulips

The other day, I was running outside and I passed the edge of a neighbors lawn. The tired heads of tulips were starting to break the surface of the lawn. I felt so much motivation, I ran faster! But really, I love the tulips that fill gardens, the spring green leaves all over willow trees, and the daffodils that explode in heated yellow.

My favorite demonstration of daffodils comes from a little house in Bountiful. My brother, my boyfriend, and our other friend all live in the ultimate bachelor pad. However, from the outside, this little white house has explosive amounts of daffodils in the yard, making everything as picturesque as ever. You'd never expect three bachelors to be the house's only tenants.


#7 Kite flying


And the best for last... to fly a kite is to taste of a bird's life. I did this successfully last year as a part of my 25 things to do before I turned 25 list and it was a joy in itself. I bought a Sponge Bob kite and at Toys R Us and flew it at Antelope Island, with the sun setting and the Salt Lake breathing heavy and low in late spring.
Aah, what a lovely time of year.

1 comment:

Blaine said...

Yes! I love love love Spring - and Dandelion Wine! This time of year makes me think of our poetry days, you ditching German, and walking around campus . . . ah I miss school sometimes and mostly I miss you!