Wednesday, January 30, 2008

my love affair with Coldplay





Many people in my life have wondered at my intense love of the band Coldplay. Many see them as U2 wannabe's and hear their music as nothing special. They have the classic watered-rock British sound, with tenor lead singer etc. However, I wish to take my lunch break and defend the top reasons why Coldplay is my favorite band.

Reason #1: I am drawn to the British bands

This might sound like a lame excuse, but it is the honest truth. I have traced back my musical tastes and other than a strange attraction to Ace of Base for a time, I have always leaned towards the Brits. It began with the Beatles and their consistent presence in my earliest years. Then enter The Rolling Stones, The Hollies, The Turtles, The Guess Who, Oasis, etc. Recently I have embraced bands such as Keane, (sort of British),Badly Drawn Boy, Travis, and Muse. But, Coldplay has been the only band to rival the Beatles in my dedication.

Reason #2: Their lyrics are honest

Once again, many have complained to me about the negativity of Coldplay's lyrics. It is true, some of their earlier songs can be a bit of a downer (i.e. Such a Rush, Only Superstition, etc) But I don't see negativity in their lyrics as much as honesty. I hear songs like Amsterdam, and Don't Panic, Help is Round the Corner, and See You Soon and can't ignore what I like to call the "Dark Chocolate Factor, or the bittersweet factor. The song may seem sad, but there is a smooth, sweet message that overpowers sadness in the end.

Reason #3: I love Chris Martin's voice
I am a singer and therefore, I realize a lot of lead singers out there, suck. It seems very rare these days to hear a talented lead singer. But, ever since I first heard Chris Martin's voice, I was impressed with his control and the natural seamless quality of his voice. It is strong and yet, never garish. My dream is to hear him live and compare; (since many singers have the advantage of technology to assist them in matters of tone in the studio) but, I have the 2003 live album and concert and I have seen live performances and I believe he is talented and as good as he sounds.


Reason #4 These band members are talented

Like his voice, I have always been impressed with Chris Martin's talent as a song writer and piano player. I also understand the drummer,Will Champion is a very talented guitar player who picked up the drums and adapted to be in the band. I have a high respect for instrumentalists who can play more than one instrument and be true musicians.

And Reason #5!!!

Coldplay is a comfort band for me;">There is a story behind this one... In Spring of 2003, a friend of mine played me Coldplay's big single, Yellow. I liked it, but I was not, in any way in love. However, it was enough to leave an impression on me. July of 2003 I was preparing to move to New Zealand to go to a study abroad. In search of some new music and on a whim (these were the days before I was an itunes junkie), I picked up their recent album, A Rush of Blood to the Head. It had stickers all over it from the awards they won at the Grammy's. I took it home and popped it in. I wasn't sure how I felt till I heard The Scientist. I immediately fell in love. Then, I got sick with a terrible cold. One week before I was to fly out, I was in bed, listening to Green Eyes and feeling comforted as I dreaded the large trip I was taking.


In New Zealand, my life changed. I was on my own for the first time, and I was on the other side of the world. I listened to the Rush of Blood album a lot. It helped me feel better when I was homesick. Then, curious, I picked up Parachutes while in New Zealand. Immediately, I fell in love with that album. I was hooked.


So, the top reason why I love Coldplay leads back to how they make me feel. I associate them with some of the scariest and best times of my life. And, when things are REALLY bad, I listen to them and I feel much stronger. Many of their songs have conveyed my exact feelings at various times of my life. Let's just hope they come around someday and I get the chance to listen to them live as one in the happy masses.








2 comments:

Blaine said...

Wow! What a great post - I agree with you 100%. Although it is way too hard for me to pick an absolute favorite band! Good for you for being decisive. I miss you Kate! Hope I can see you soon

sNick said...

The scientist is the song that made me fall in love with Coldplay too. Yum.